Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Slow Roasted Pork Carnitas



I recently discovered using a slow cooker  to make meals ( thanks Renee!) Well really, I stole the slow cooker that Toby got for Christmas..... hey he can use it still. I am newly obsessed with the food blog "What's Gabby Cooking thanks to my Zite app on my iPad. We oogle her recipes at work all the time and she makes about 50 different types of guacamole. This chick is good in my book.




So she posted this recipe from The Homesick Texan Cookbook. I was a bit apprehensive when I started because pork shoulder can be tough so I dusted off our slow cooker and hoped for the best. The recipe has you bake the pork after sauteing,but I decided to make it in the crock pot.I kept it on low for 5 hours.  Well let me tell you- It was amazing!!! I also added my own flare by adding about half of a jar of salsa. It made it a bit spicier and I loved it. 

The pork is really good next day also. I sauteed it for a few minutes and served it with corn tortillas I heated in a pan to make them crispy. Serve with some guacamole and you are all set! Another idea is serving them in enchiladas or even over rice. The sauce that is left over is delish ( Kellie's trademarked word)  so save it!

Here is the recipe and the link to Gabby's blog:

Ingredients:
3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup Lime Juice
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
Directions:
1. Place the pork in a large dutch oven with the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin and salt. Add enough water to barely cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 2 hours.
2. After 2 hours, (and by this point your house will smell awesome) turn the heat up to medium high, and continue to cook the pork for 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while, until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat as been rendered.
3. Once the pork is browned on both sides, it’s ready to eat. Taste and season with a little extra salt if needed.

Gabby's Blog:

http://whatsgabycooking.com/homesick-texan-carnitas/

3 comments:

  1. Carnitas are hard to resist-I always seem to order that at a Tex Mex restaurants. These look so delicious I am ready to drive to your house for lunch!Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! It is SO EASY to make. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete