Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lemon & Honey Glazed Crock Pot Chicken


Hello again Citrus Blog Hop!I have been on a crock pot stint as of late. I have been so tired after work and the gym and I figure it would be nice to have dinner made when I get home with minimal effort. And along came my crock pot. I googled recipes last night and found this stunner from Rachael Ray. This recipe cannot be any easier to whip up, not to mention affordable. Bone in chicken is very cheap these days. I think it was $1.50 for a pound. That is pretty crazy.


I didn't really even take many pictures because all you do is brown the chicken and place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Can;t get much easier than that folks. This is a great meal if you are not so sure of your cooking abilities.I browned the chicken the night before and cut an onion. You can throw in the baby potatoes whole. And that's it.I put it all in the crock pot on low the next morning before work at by 6pm I was eating when I walked through the door!

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and chopped
  • 2 lemons, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock or water 
To finish:
  • Zest of 1 lemon, cut into strips
  • 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • Balsamic Drizzle

Preparation

In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides.
Scatter the potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme and lemon slices in the bowl of a crock pot. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the browned chicken over the veggies and drizzle with honey. Add the stock or water, cover and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Serve each portion topped with a combination of the lemon zest, parsley, toasted nuts and balsamic drizzle.


10 comments:

  1. Like you at times I want to prepare something easy and this recipe is one of it done in the crock pot. Nice flavors you have added inside, what more with the finale of serving it with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can clearly see that this is a keeper. Tasty results in little time! Great flavor blend and love the crock pot method used. On top of that, your picture has really won me over-delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! The flavors were really great and for minimal prep time or fussing I love this recipe! Oh.. I worked hard on that pic Tina. Had to look just right!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a delicious dish! And nothing better than coming home to a ready yummy dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Love the citrus love. What a great recipe. I love lemon and honey together. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely recipe and the color looks fantastic!Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks easy and yummy....a win win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is super easy!!a keeper for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this last night. The flavors were nice, but I made some changes that I think left it somewhat lacking. My husband doesn't like chicken on the bone, so I used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of bone-in thighs. And then I didn't want to get another dish dirty, so I skipped browning the meat before I put it in. The dish was nice, but the chicken breasts were pretty dry. Next time, I will try browning the meat, and then put it on the bottom of the crock pot so it absorbs more of the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Juliana! The breasts might have been the problem. They dry out more than thighs that have fat on them. Maybe try adding more liquid with the breasts. I might try it too!!

    ReplyDelete