Monday, February 13, 2012

Great Uses for Leftover Wine (if you ever have any)


I was uber excited when I saw this article on The Nest (website for married people, sister website of The Knot).  I rarely have left over wine (what can I say, Toby and I always finish it), but if I ever did I would want to have these tips in mind. I figured since they were so great I would share with all of you good followers.

 
Use in a sauce or stew - Red wine goes well in tomato sauces, while white wine is a good fit for mushroom or cream sauces.I always use red wine in my red gravy and I love how it makes the sauce no rich. Why waste the wine? Add it to a sauce and bring it to another level.



Poach fresh fruit in a mixture of wine - Red or white works for this.Add some sugar and anything else you may like. Serve with ice cream in the cavity of the fruit and garnish with a spring of mint  for a decadent dessert or with Greek yogurt!You can even grill the fruit!





Steam Shellfish! White wine is such a great accompaniment to shellfish. Steam mussels with some white wine, garlic and parsley and the wine will give them incredible flavor. Toss with some spaghetti or a piece of crusty bread and you have yourself a meal! 




Make Sangria - Sangria is my favorite part of Summer.Sangria is nice because it is super refreshing and you can add whatever you have on hand to make it amazing! Mix wine ( red or white)  with fruit juice, liqueur, and fresh fruit for a refreshing cocktail to share with friends!








Freeze it! You can freeze wine in ice cube trays to use in soups and stews later. It will stay in the freezer longer and you can use it when you need it.


3 comments:

  1. Ohh poaching is a great idea, I never would have thought of doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great ideas...although, like you said, I'll never have a use for them! :-) Hope your week is off to a great start Leanne! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so too Abby! And I know Maggie.. me either. Never any left overs. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete