Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cauliflower Nuggets


So I dubbed these cauliflower nuggets because they remind me of chicken nuggets and actually kind of look  and taste like them, but of course they are cauliflower florets. These are the base for baked bang bang cauliflower ( pre-sauce) and I came to the conclusion these are just as delicious and would be a great meal or snack any day!



I used the advice of Food Buzz by toasting the panko bread crumbs before breading the cauliflower. Great call. Number 1, my house smelled amazing and it doesn't really take any extra time to do it. I just threw them in while the oven was preheating. Next time I may cut the cauliflower into smaller florets. I got lazy and made them really big, which was good, but you can just pop small florets in your mouth like popcorn chicken or something(um yum?)I dipped these in an awesome sauce made in Rhode Island called Cowboy ketchup which is a mixture of ketchup and BBQ sauce. Ranch might be a nice dipping sauce too! These would also be an easy app for a party, and may I add healthy!

Directions for making these are as simple as if you were breading chicken cutlets: egg wash, breadcrumbs, put in oven. Easy!

Ingredients:

2 egg whites
1 head cauliflower
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper
Your favorite dipping sauce

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F and toast panko bread crumbs. Cut cauliflower into florets and wash.
2. Set separate bowls aside with egg whites and panko. Dip florets into egg whites, and then coat with panko mixture.
3. After coating all of your florets, put them on a sheet pan and bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until brow. 
Three steps and done!! Enjoy!!


4 comments:

  1. Ah these look so fun! I need to try them! I love the panko crust, these look so good! And I adore ketchup and excuse to dunk something in it: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were crunchy and yummy!! I swear my oven is my new favorite cooking tool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love breaded cauliflower and I'm with you about using the oven whenever possible. My market actually sells seasoned panko breadcrumbs and it's terrific.

    ReplyDelete