Monday, April 23, 2012

Cheesy Veggie & Quinoa Burrittos


As an avid lover of Mexican cuisine in any form I was very excited when I saw this recipe. Since I am constantly on the run, I love those go to meals that I can put together fast, but are home cooked and delicious! Burritos are usually not so healthy. Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of burritos in the past. These burritos are healthier, but are just as tasty!

So problem #1 with burritos is the big huge  flour tortilla it is served in. They can usually run 200-300 calories and that is just for the vessel the fattening stuff comes in! Problem #2- Cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Either way, I want to eat burritos and not feel guilty about it. More importantly, I want to eat them all the time. You can easily add meat to these burritos. Shrimp would also be yummy to add! These are a perfect weekday lunch or dinner where you can saute the vegetables ahead of time and cook the rice or quinoa and simply put them togeher the day off. Now, how simple is that? No need to stop at Taco Bell today people.

I made this even easier on myself and bought pre-chopped peppers, onions, and mushrooms and zucchini, but feel free to use whatever veggies you like. Since I will only need them for 3-4 portions, I would rather use pre-washed and pre-chopped to save myself some time! At some stores it is alot more expensive, but I got them pretty cheap at Whole Foods ( about $3 worth- enough for 4 burritos.) I also used whole wheat tortillas for these( taco size) and it was such a filling meal! I added some guacamole, Greek yogurt ( my new favorite faux sour cream)and low fat Mexican cheese and you are in business!

Cheesy Veggie & Quinoa Burrittos

From Cooking Light















Ingredients:
  • 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
  • 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain white/brown rice or quinoa ( I used quinoa)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, divided
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 cup chopped onion 
  • 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels 
  • 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 3/4 cup)
  • 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes 
  • 4 (7- to 8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
  • 4 ounces quesadilla cheese, shredded (about 1 cup packed)
  • Cilantro leaves (optional)
 Directions:
  1. 1. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add rice and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2/3 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in jalapeño.
  2.   Combine sour cream, chopped cilantro, juice, and red pepper in a small bowl.
  3.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and mushrooms; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add corn and zucchini; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and tomatoes; sauté 30 seconds or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated. Remove vegetable mixture from pan. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
  4.  Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide sour cream mixture evenly among tortillas; spread to a thin layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup cheese, about 1/4 cup rice mixture, and about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Roll up each, jelly-roll fashion. Return skillet to medium heat. Add 2 burritos to pan, seam side down; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining burritos. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.




2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! What a great healthy twist on burritos. I am with you, I am crazy about burritos, but oh the calories and fat. I'll have to give these a try. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks amazingly healthy and delicious! ALL your recipes do - nice work! Came across your site today and just started following. Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete