Friday, April 20, 2012

Recipe Swap: Giada's Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes


It's recipe swap time! Big thanks to Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking for hosting the swap! This week's theme is recipes from celebrity chef's recipes. Well, let's just say it was quite easy to compile a list of recipes from celebrity chefs. I have about two million cookbooks from the likes of Mario Batali, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay and even the Top Chef Cookbook! I always love watching  Giada De Laurentiis because she makes cooking look effortless and well she started off on Everyday Italian and I am about as Italian as they come. Part of me is jealous because of how beautiful ( and skinny) she is and she eats so much of her food. Oh well, I won't complain.


I have never stuffed tomatoes myself before so I was pretty excited to try these. Big thanks for Melissa from I was born to Cook for the recipe to try. I would imagine this recipe would be divine during the summer when tomatoes are so vibrant and juicy. Gosh I love summer. I have also always heard really good things about Roma tomatoes, but if you can't find them you can use regular tomatoes just make sure you get most of the liquid out before stuffing. Also feel free to stuff these with whatever you like. These other variations literally just came to me in five seconds. You can do this too! Use your imagination!

  • Mexican Stuffed Tomatoes: Cilantro, chili powder,jalapenos and queso fresco
  • French Style Stuffed Tomatoes: Herb de Provence, garlic and lemon zest
  • My Personal Favorite: Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, and jalapenos and top with sour cream
  • Greek Goddess: Chopped spinach, feta, and parsley
  • Caprese: Fresh mozzarella, basil ( clearly the tomato is all set) drizzle of balsamic

 Anyway, I digress,  Here is Giada's recipe by way of Melissa. You can make as little or as many as you like this recipe serves 6-8.

Giada's Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes


















Ingredients:
  • 12 roma tomatoes , sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 3/4 cup finely crumbled gorgonzola or 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley , chopped
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F
  2. Using a teaspoon, remove seeds from tomatoes. Place tomato halves, cut side down, on paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Using clean hands, gently toss the drained tomato halves in the oil mixture until coated. Marinate the tomatoes for 10 minutes.
  4. In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs and Gorgonzola cheese.
  5. Place the marinated tomato halves, cut side up, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Fill each tomato half with the bread crumb filling. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
  6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until slightly softened and the underside of the tomatoes are brown.
  7. Arrange the cooked tomatoes on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.




5 comments:

  1. I love fried tomatoes, so this sounds like a heavenly and more healthful change up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you enjoyed it...even when tomatoes aren't at their peak this is a great way to prepare them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for recipes that will use up the tomatoes from my garden, so I will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Melissa! You will really enjoy them! They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound SO good! And I love the other variations you came up with. Yum.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

    ReplyDelete