Saturday, May 19, 2012

Greek Goddess Chicken


This recipe was a day in the making. I knew I had chicken. I knew I had cherry tomatoes and feta. I kept thinking all day what I could do with these staples and then it came to me. Chicken with tomatoes, spinach and feta. Done. Dinner is served. Truthfully, I made up the name Greek Goddess Chicken, but quite frankly, I really liked the name. It has as a yummy Greek staple, feta cheese, which I thought marries perfectly with cherry tomatoes and fresh spinach.


 This recipe, like many of the ones I make is super versatile. You can combine the tomato-spinach mixture with grilled chicken, pork, or grilled shrimp. If you make this in summer and you don't feel like using your stove you could always grill the chicken and make chop the tomato and spinach and not even cook it!You can make them into a wrap also if you want to eat it as a sandwich. That would be quite a delicious lunch!I really enjoyed this lunch and it is a great weeknight supper that you can change every week for your family!

Greek Goddess Chicken




















For the chicken, I used the method of pan frying I used for my double crunch chicken.

Directions/Ingredients:
4  large boneless chicken breasts
 

Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, pound the meat to an even 1/2 inch thickness.   

Sift together:
2 cup flour
4 tsp salt
4 tsp black pepper

Make an egg wash by whisking together:


4 eggs
8 tbsp water

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dip the meat in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the breast into the eggwash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the meat to get good contact.

Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom ( I just did a few turns of olive oil.)
Pan-fry them gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
Greek Goddess Sauce
Ingredients:
1 carton cherry tomatoes
1 bag fresh spinach
1/4 cup feta cheese
Saute on carton of cherry tomatoes on medium low heat with two cloves of garlic until they start to pop and garlic is brown. 

Once tomatoes are ready, add fresh spinach to the pan and let it wilt for 2-3 minutes. 
Optional: Add a splash of white wine, lemon zest, or a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar 

Pour mixture over chicken and top with feta cheese.


1 comment: