Friday, May 11, 2012

Quinoa Mac & Cheese Revisited: Mexican Style


I have done it people! I have managed to make the most popular recipe on my blog....better. I was craving quinoa mac & cheese, but felt like it needed some... how do I put it? Uumph? I scanned my fridge and immediately got uber excited. Why didn't I think of this on Cinco de Mayo? Whatever.

Anyway, so I scanned my fridge and found: sliced jalapenos, a block of sharp cheddar cheese, hot sauce, greek yogurt and left over jalapeno cheddar corn bread.Mix in the jalapenos, hot sauce and veggies. Then top with crumbled up corn muffins for the topping and bake. Top with greek yogurt and serve. Amazing.


So use the same recipe as quinoa mac & cheese ( from Monica Nelson)

 Some notes from the many comments and suggestions from my original post:

1. I find that sharp cheese works best. Pepper Jack would be good in this Mexican style quinoa mac & cheese. I really liked the sharp cheddar though.

2.  Pre-shredded cheese lacks a bit in flavor compared to block cheese. Take the extra few minutes and use block cheese to shred yourself. You will totally taste the difference!

3. These are really great when served in individual ramekins.Perfect for portion control or a party.

4. You can really get creative with this base recipe. Buffalo style quinoa mac and cheese may be my next attempt.You can fill these with whatever veggies you have or cheeses.

5. If you add any extra items to this, mix them in before baking.

Mexi-Style Quinoa Mac & Cheese



 
 
 
 
 
 
Ingredients (serves 6)

  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • Veggies of your choice (optional)
  • good pinch of salt
  • a few grinds of seasoning salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup soy milk or non-fat milk
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
  • Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
  •  My add ins: 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos, a few dashes of hot sauce and crumbled up corn muffins instead of bread crumbs for the topping!!!!

  1. Lightly saute any veggies you would like in this dish. 
  2. Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
  3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish( or 8 individual ramekins) with cooking spray.Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese and add ins. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt.  Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs add now and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned. 


1 comment:

  1. Oooooh YUM. I love your remake of this! I've been craving quinoa mac & cheese lately too - definitely making it happen soon :)

    ReplyDelete