Wednesday, August 22, 2012

5 Ingredient Breakfast Cookies


Cookies for breakfast? Heck yeah! I saw these little morsels of goodness on Watching What I Eat.  I like the idea of having a breakfast that I can grab on my way to work and eat it whenever I want to. It is so hard for me to get up in the morning and cook myself a full breakfast so anything that can be cooked ahead of time I am game!



I dubbed this recipe 5 ingredient  breakfast cookies, but feel free to add as many extras to them as you would like. I added no sugar added dried cranberries and walnuts, but you can add things like chocolate chips, strawberries, or almonds. Whatever your family likes will probably work in these! The other plus is that there is minimal sugar. The bulk of the cookies are bananas, oatmeal and applesauce. I used sugar free apple sauce, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. This recipe is perfect for back to school time and giving your kids a healthy breakfast or snack that they don't even know is healthy! If you know anyone that is diabetic this would be a great recipe also!

Ingredients: 


  • 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed with fork until creamy  
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or more, to taste)  
Optional add ins: 

1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix vanilla extract & cinnamon into the applesauce.

3. Blend applesauce mixture with all other ingredients & let sit for 10 minutes

4. Drop cookie dough, by spoonfuls, onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet & flatten cookies into rounds.

5. Bake approx. 30-35 minutes, or until golden & done.Remove from oven & let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack.

Store in a covered container when completely cool.




7 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne ~

    So glad you like my cookies! They sure are a fun recipe to tinker with, I've got a bunch more breakfast cookies on my site. The Peanut Butter Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies have gone viral on Pinterest & the web. Check them out, you might enjoy them, too. :)

    You've got a lovely site, I'm really enjoying wandering it. Thanks for the shout out ~ Cheers!

    Vicki E
    www.Watching-What-I-Eat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious.. not to mention healthy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

      Delete
  2. I made these this morning for the fam and we LOVE them! I added coconut and they were delicious! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. should be really tasty! thanks for the recipe!

    Chocoholic
    http://chocoholicdaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many cookies does this recipe make?
    I am trying to figure out nutritional info

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these, the flavor is fine, but the texture is strange.

    ReplyDelete