Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello 2013! Food Trends to Salivate Over

2012 was a great year for my blog, myself, and my family. With one year of blogging under my belt, I feel confidant about my recipes and my point of view and I'm gaining new readers every week. My husband and I got the love of our lives, Meatball the Wonder Pug and my husband and I had our one year wedding anniversary! Because of this I am super excited for what 2013 has in store for me! I read an article about 2013 Food Trends and  I wanted to share it with all of you! For those of you who missed it, I wrote about 2012 food trends in 2011 and a bunch of them were really popular.2012 was the year of the potato, um heck yeah it was. I even have a whole pinterest board dedicated to Spud Love.


I found these trends on Eatocracy, which is one of my favorite sites to read about foodie news. I actually got giddy when I read these. See what you think. 

Lots & Lots & Lots of Tater Tots













They're the perfect combo of salt and crunch and starch and they're starting to pop up on menus across the country. People love them for their nostalgic deliciousness, but some chefs are trying to get fancy and make them in-house with hand-shredded potatoes, heirloom or sweet spuds and whatnot. Just have fun with great house-made sauces, toppings, herbs and flavorful oils. 

My thoughts: Oh thank god! I freakin love tater tots and it makes me so happy to see them take center stage in 2013. Restaurants in Rhode Island have started offering home made tots on their menus and it is just divine. I am also a dipper for anything fried so the thought of flavored home made ketchup and sauces makes me want to do a happy dance.

Vegetarian Meals Taking Center Stage














The idea of meatless entrees doesn't seem so strange to a lot of people these days as they try to cut down on their consumption (especially on Meatless Mondays) - and sad steamed vegetables on rice just aren't cutting it anymore. More and more restaurants are serving vegetarian entrees that don't just seem like an afterthought, and even high-end venues like Per Se, Canlis, Daniel (just to name a few) serve vegetable tasting menus using the bounty of the season as a chance to show off, rather than just reluctantly appease the vegetarian at the table.

My Thoughts: Awesome! Many of the recipes I make at home don't have meat in them not because I don't eat meat, but because I don't think it's good to eat meat every day. By not eating meat at every meal you save money on grocery bills, eat meals that are lower in fat, and gets lots of servings of veggies! The Meatless Monday mantra is really taking off and people are more open to eating veggie meals that aren't just a side dish. Chefs are getting creative with local, seasonal grains and veggies and I am more than happy to eat up all the yumminess they have to offer!

Genius Tacos
















If you have read my blog before you know how obsessed with Mexican food I am. Restaurants in 2013 will be offering a less traditional style of tacos for patrons to enjoy! Let's talk about braised lamb tacos, home made flour tortillas and a plethora of different salsas like pineapple habanero to pack some punch. 

My Thoughts: Tacos are so versatile and it is so easy to invent delicious combinations. Fish tacos are out ( don't get me wrong I still love them) and new combinations like braised short rib tacos are in! I am always up for a twist on an old classic so bring it on!



No comments:

Post a Comment